Free Fun the Whole Family Will Enjoy!
Visiting New Orleans doesn’t have to break your piggy bank! With so much culture, the city offers plenty of fun things that are FREE or very cheap for you and your family to enjoy.
- Stroll through Jackson Square during the day where you and your kids will enjoy street performers playing musical instruments and tap dancing.
- Tour St. Louis Cathedral.
- While you’re there, make a wish in the Jackson Square fountain –it’ll only cost you the penny you throw in!
- Check out the area right across from Jackson Square with steps leading to the Moonwalk, where you’ll frequently find mimes, musicians, unicyclists and more, all performing a variety of acts for the gathering crowds.
- Watch the many artists who set up shop every day in Pirate's Alley and around the square. The artists’ work on new paintings and portraits, and display their artwork for purchase.
- Watch the sailboats race on Lake Pontchartrain from the Lakefront Park or watch the sunset from Lakeshore Drive.
- Visit the French Market, where local artisans set up shop and fresh fruit is sold.
- Be sure to pass by the open air gazebo near the French Market where you will hear live jazz during the day when the weather is nice. On your way, let the kids watch pralines being made through the store windows. Try New Orleans Famous Pralines.
- Make your way through the French Market where Mardi Gras masks and souvenirs made by local craftsmen are on display during the day.
- Don't miss the streetcar ($1.25 person, children 2 and under FREE) on St. Charles Avenue, a historic street with big, old oak trees lining the street. The streetcar will take your family for an open air ride through the Garden District, where many beautiful mansions and their gardens are located. It's also a great way to get to the Audubon Zoo.
- Check out the numerous city and state operated parks in New Orleans, as well as those operated by the National Park Service.
- Join us during the holdays for special free events, such as The Historic French Quarter Easter Parade, the Krewe of Boo Halloween parade (start practicing saying, "Throw me somethin', Monster!"), and the Krewe of Jingle parade at Christmastime.
- Don't forget Mardi Gras, "The Greatest Free Show on Earth!" Kids are invited to parade for free with the Krewe of Little Rascals.
Note: Remember that not all parts of the French Quarter are kid-friendly, especially at night! We recommend planning your route ahead of time so you can avoid these areas.